Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My First Blog...

I´ve decided to start this blog because I´ve been busy posting on a forum about my current tango holiday in Buenos Aires and what its like learning to tango here...and probably boring the pants off everyone. So I thought if I blogged here, people had more choice whether they wanted to read it or not.

Please note I am:

a) Not a writer. This blog will not be beautifully worded, grammatically challenging, wonderfully poignant, prophetically profound, or always spelt correctly.
b) Not a dancer. I had ballet lessons as a child up until I became a young teenager and realised that staying in bed on a saturday morning was much better then doing pliés and being told to stand up straight.

I am however in love with tango.


I learnt for 8/10 weeks 2 years ago with a 1 hour class a week at the Horniman Museum. I then moved north of the river and failed to continue it anywhere else. This year I decided for Christmas to go somewhere hot for 3 weeks. I have a friend in Buenos Aires so thought it might be an idea to visit him and spend some time mooching around the rest of the country. A couple of weeks before I came out I remembered that BA is the home of tango and I had learnt the basics. So did a crash course with 6 classes, 3 private lessons and 6 milongas over two weeks. I then decided to forego the mooching and get stuck straight into the dancing.

Since arriving in BA 2 weeks ago I´ve had at least one class a day and gone to a milonga every night bar 2. Some might say this "a little over the top". I say "not at all". My feet say "ow".


I´ve actually only one more week to go before I leave sunny, glorious BA and head home to drizzly london. But I fully intend to keep on learning there. To the point where yesterday I worked out if I didn´t eat as many Pret lunches and cycled to work how much extra cash I would have left to spend on more classes and private lessons.

So I´ll attempt to keep this blog up and see how it goes. If not for anyone else´s interest, it might be interesting for me to see my progress as time goes by. And so when I´m a World Famous Tango Dancer I can read back and laugh at how little I knew in the beginning. Of course, by that time I will also be an astronaut and a Spice Girl.

2 comments:

  1. i say yeay, and admire the gusto from a distance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! New tango blog and nicely written too. Can't wait to hear how you find dancing and learning in London now that you're back there.

    Ewan (NZ)

    ReplyDelete